When I ask couples why they elope, I hear some general themes:
- Because couples are at a time when they are busy and can make space in their schedule for each other but not to plan a big wedding.
- Couples want to focus on each other for their wedding without being "up there" in front everyone.
- Couples want to save the effort of their family and friends taking time off work and all that is involved with travel logistics.
- Couples want to focus on an intimate ceremony focused on each other but not have to think about venues, caterers, makings sure guests are taking care of, etc.
- Cutting on expenses
- Getting married in a special place that they can visit through the years.
- It's difficult to determine a cut off for how many guests to invite.
- Because it's romantic.